Sunday, June 29, 2008

Ready.... Set.... Dont go????

Today I am sitting at the computer (as always) and wondering what to do. Really it is a good problem, yet it still stresses me out (as does everything with adoption) :0). I will get to the problem in a second. When we started this journey, we planned on it taking a year - at least. Chris was comfortable with that timeframe as it gave us a while to save up money. Our last adoption took us two and a half years, and I can honestly say that it almost killed me. While Chris did it the right way.. "Don't worry and stress about it, it will happen when it happens, it's out of our hands", I was on the computer watching Russia's temperature, talking with every person who ever adopted or thought about adopting, or was in the middle of adopting - and driving myself to the edge of sanity:0)

"THE PROBLEM" We found an agency that says if we just do the paperwork dilligently (I can get it done in a record time with my eyes closed and both hands tied behind my back with all my practice) we could have Max's little brother home by Christmas. WHAT? Keep in mind that I understand that things could change any minute, and that even if I have our dossier ready to go in a few weeks, Russia could shut down, or change the rules again... but by Christmas? Wow!

Chris is the ever rational (sometimes referred to as the Downer) guy. I just read this to him and he said "I think he's bad a__" :0) he he. We have just been thru a rough financial time, at least in comparisson to what we were used to on 05' and 06' . We are both in real estate, and while Texas is much better off than much of our great nation... It's not like the good ol'days.
I was planning on having a little more time to prepare for double mommyhood.. but hey - I can cope!

So here is how I see it... I would give anything for an "easy" adoption. I can still feel the gut wrenching daily pain of waiting, changing countries twice, losing referrals, wondering if it would ever happen, wondering if the Russians would finally close their adoptions off from Americans - the list can go on and on. I think we pull money out of some of our assets (most of the people I talk to do this - or get a loan) and get in and get out. Max is ready for his little brother to get home, the weather will be good (for the first trip anyway in September). It just makes me crazy to think that if we wait, we will look back 4 years from now (and many trips to the crazy farm) and say "we should have jumped on it while things were easy".

Chris see's it as black and white - we wait till we save up the money and if it happens it happens..

So there is the dilema. I have to rush now to church, but will post when we (chris) has made a final decision.

Tracie

2 comments:

Amy said...

Hi Tracie --

I am also with Lighthouse. It's great to read your blog. With your "problem" LOL, I hope you find the right answer! For me, it can't happen fast enough. I have horrible "Verca Salt" issues ("I want it NOW, daddy!!") as I call it -- so Lighthouse's quick timeline with my type A personality are a WONDERFUL fit. I love poking around adoption.com and reading everyone's timelines. While there are somethings out of your hands (like your first story) there is also a lot of things that are controllable (ie how fast you can turn around your paperwork) which I like!

Looking forward to talking to you more!!

Little Patch of Heaven said...

Tracie,

Yes, with Lighthouse and Lorien things are as they appear. We do not have the funds available but, why not. We are only here on this earth once right!!!

I hope that he chooses to go ahead with it.

Danette